YouTube star Casey Neistat slams video-sharing site’s advertising strategy

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

YouTube star Casey Neistat has criticized the video-sharing site’s advertising strategy, saying the platform’s content creators are suffering.

Neistat, who has over 8 million subscribers on YouTube, is a leading video blogger. In a video posted to the platform on Tuesday, he explained that YouTube’s revamped advertising policies are hurting content creators.

“I really don’t think YouTube does enough to take care of its community,” he said.

YouTube tightened its ad policies earlier this year after ads appeared alongside extremist content, sparking an advertiser revolt. However, Neistat said YouTube was mistakenly removing ads from certain pieces of content.

“THE SINS OF SILICON VALLEY”: THE RETURN OF THE GAME MOVES AGAINST GOOGLE, FACEBOOK, AMAZON

He cited, for example, his recent interview with the Indonesian president, temporarily “demonetized” by YouTube.

According to Neistat, other content creators also lost revenue when ads were removed from their videos. “A lot of creators, a lot of that community have been hit very, very hard,” he said. “Some of my friends have seen a drop, literally, of 80%.”

The video-sharing platform could have communicated better with content creators, he added. “What does it look like from a community perspective?” Neistat said. “It’s that advertisers are a bigger priority for this platform than the community.”

APPLE ISSUES RESPONSE TO SENATE INQUIRY INTO FACE ID CONCERNS

YouTube acknowledged Neistat’s concerns. “We have watched Casey’s video and appreciate him and the wider community voicing their concerns,” he said in a statement emailed to Fox News. “We know that the last few months have been difficult and we are working hard to improve our systems. We are making progress, but we know there is still much to do.

Earlier this month, YouTube pulled ads from a video posted by Neistat that advertised a GoFundMe fundraiser for victims of the Las Vegas attack. Neistat said all advertising revenue from the video will go to the victims.

YouTube’s policy is not to run ads on videos related to tragedies.

GOOGLE ANNOUNCES CRACKDOWN ON YOUTUBE TERROR VIDEO

In his video this week, however, Neistat said a video of Jimmy Kimmel about the tragedy that appeared on YouTube featured ads.

“It stinks of hypocrisy,” he said.

Neistat also urged YouTube to do more to promote the video site’s stars. “I think there should be a much larger initiative to show real appreciation for what this whole community has brought to this platform and that’s something I see very, very little of,” he said. -he declares.

The video posted this week has been viewed more than 1.9 million times. Neistat averages between 2 and 4 videos per week.

Last year, CNN bought video app Beme from Neistat for $25 million.

YouTube, which has more than a billion users, says the number of channels earning six figures a year on the platform has increased by 50% year-on-year.

Follow James Rogers on Twitter @jamesjrogers

Shirley K. Rosa